DESIGN SURGE 2014 last April 5. It was De La Salle- College of Saint Benilde’s Graduating Fashion Show and I must say I was impressed with this batch’s showcase, Most of the collections were well composed; taste and artistic style was much visible. These are just some of the looks I found interesting or loved. I wanted to grab some of the right off the runway and bring them with me for our Editorial Shoots, #StyLized team will surely be pulling out!
Compared to the previous years, this batch clearly had more wearable pieces and I applaud the styling done because it definitely transcended even the most simple pieces to a different over-all look to become a presentation-worthy collection. I was much more drawn to the RTW collections because they were actual pieces anybody could wear on a regular day, but by the way they were put together just made it a feast for the eyes.
Here’s a page from PHILIPPINE DAILY INQUIRER’S centrefold, do spot me in my favorite BANGGO NIU Outfit. Wish I was beside Zoe and Miko though! I just met Miko that night, I’ve heard about him for quite some time but we’ve never met even though we were from the same school! you can check out his blog at: http://mikocarreon.com.
(Okay, they spelled my last name wrong. haha)
I should really know how the drill goes here, because I was a part of last year’s graduating batch of designers. I can’t help but re-feel that thrill on everything and anything about a graduation fashion show, more so that I came from DLS-CSB as well. I was more than happy to see the next batch’s epiphany on the runway, because in some certain way, I could say, “Hey, this is what I/we looked like last year!”. From backstage assistants, to being one of the designers, and now watching this front row, It definitely feels overwhelming to both remember the past and witness the present tonight.
It’s always a given fact that the showcase should get better and better every year, and design wise, this batch has clearly outdone it! Congratulations Batch 2014!
Summer’s out on full heat!
I’m off to The ARANAZ “Club Tropicana” Pool Party, and watching DLS-CSB’s Graduation Fashion Show, “Design Surge 2014” right after- I’ll be fashion-event hoping with one of my closest friend, Zoe Laurente and there’s no other outfit that’s more perfect than my custom made Open Back Cropped Top and pencil skirt with zip-up slits. Thank You my love, Banggo Niu, for this fab outfit, you always create stunning pieces. I’m staying cool and breezy in this! He’s also a graduate from Benilde, a batch higher than Zoe and I; two years ago, we were just ushering and assisting their Show, its just incredible how time transpires.
I’d like to say congratulations Zoe as well, for being Style Bible's newly hired Beauty and Fashion Editor. Watching 2014's Graduation Show definitely flashes back that wave of electricity of doing our own show last year, its quite nostalgic and I must say that I really miss it. Zoe was one of the very few people I worked side by side with through the endless nights and days. From ushers, to designers, and this year we are now sitting front row, I wouldn't have watched today's event with anyone else. I can not wait to attend more events with you soon!
Congratulations Graduates! Today is a day to celebrate a feat of talents; Everything you’ve been learning for the past four years has been preparing you for this single day. I’d definitely know how it feels and surely it has been more than a challenge with a number of sleepless nights, tears, self-doubt and emotional exhaustion, I’d still do this all over again. What once just a thought, is now attained to reality.
Flashback Post: http://hernameisandie.tumblr.com/post/46668154451/black-summer-fire-graduation-show-collection
B.NIU Cropped Top & Pencil Skirt | Forever 21 Heels
Photos by: Zoe Laurente
I bought this shirt instantly, the first time I saw it- just plainly because it was screaming “1992” (the year I was born and most of my friends as well) and it was not any other year was printed on it. I’m a proud 90’s child. I think 90’s children were cool, even without too techy iPads to play games with- we were contented with playing with our friends outside, or even indoors spent on the floor with our toys- not in front of computer screens. In that way, I think most 90’s children experienced what a real childhood should have really been. (This post also applies to mostly everyone born closely around 1992. If you were near the 2000’s or something, you still might be cool.)
When we were younger….Even before the Friendster frenzy, the Internet & text messaging, the iPods(not even iPhones or iPads), Before PlayStation2 or X-BOX, there was a time when Walkmans were cool and our parents rent VHS tapes(not even DVD’s) to watch movies at home because Torrent wasn’t invented yet. As for me, watching Scooby Doo after I get home from school was such a happy hour. Remember the time when Cartoon Network was the only Children’s channel around that time in the PH? I loved Dexter’s Lab and The Powerpuff Girls so much that I even wanted to Blossom. Until Nickelodeon came, I loved Rugrats. And Hey Arnold. And The Legend of the Hidden Temple, then As Told By Ginger- which I recently realized was pretty much already like a “grown up” cartoon series because when you think about it, it already has adolescent life realizations you could relate to when you hit your teenage years. Later on, I loved Disney Chanel and I would wait all summer day for Kim Possible, Totally Spies, That’s so Raven, Lizzie McGuire and I’m not sure if you guys know Wheel Squad? Me and my sister loved it so much that we poured Baby Powder all over the living room’s floor to make it slippery, so we could “skate” without skates- and Yes, my grandmother was shocked to see white powder all over her wooden floor.
My all time favorite movie(until now) is still the Little Mermaid, I could watch it countless times on VHS in a day and still swim in our pool and pretend to have fins; that pool was my ocean, and my grandmother would get frustrated whenever I drop her sea shell collection down the pool so I could have better imagination of actually being in the ocean. We loved fairy tales so much that we wanted Aurora's gorgeous hair, or Ariel's fins, Belle's pretty face or fly on a magic carpet like Jasmine. Disney Princess Movies were the bomb. Has anyone actually cried when Mufasa died on Lion King? Or when Tarzan's Gorilla mom got shot? And yes, waiting for Disney Movies to start at 8pm on Disney Chanel every night just brought some kind of magic hour.
Most of Decisions we made was by going ‘eeny-meeny-miney-moe' or when when our parents take us to drive thru and get Happy Meals where you chose a Barbie or a Hot Wheels car, or decide between playing jackstones or Tag during Recess in school. And Children’s birthday parties were mostly at Mcdonald’s or Jollibee, where Grimace the mascott would cause about five children to cry? Whatever I loved him, and the give aways with a free coupon of Vanilla Sundae you can redeem some time later.
Remember the time that after school, we put off 5 hours just to do homework traditionally, without the one-step click of finding answers right off Google? And your newly bought Crayolas and Fresh pencils were the bomb? Or probably all your school supplies were “Lisa Frank"(in my case, it was BARBIE and pink everything!) and your light up sneakers were the coolest thing ever? And bringing a lunch box to school with a water jug full of ice? And some of your classmates who don’t bring their own jug would ask to drink water from yours? I found that annoying at some point, when it got too frequent. Haha.
These are just some of the many things I could say about the 90’s. It was a really good period for my childhood, wouldn’t ask for it to have happened in any other way. I just frequently get nostalgic, given the fact that time is moving pretty fast and I can’t seem to grasp on moments to last for even just a while.
Photos by Liz Dumdum, The Style Diplomat on http://lizdumdum.com
Funny how barely anything changes from a day to day basis, but when you asses 365 days backwards, its an entirely different story.
Plaid Top Stradivarius | Leather Skirt Zara | Heels Zara | Bag Forever 21 | Sunglasses Rayban
"I’ve always thought of the T-shirt as the Alpha and the Omega of Fashion."
-Giorgio Armani, Fashion Designer (Quoted from: “StyLized" Liz Uy’s Book on The Ten Style Essentials)
I’m not a fan of bright colours(in my wardrobe) and predominately the “colours” in my closest range only from different shades of grey, black and white. I find them dramatic yet simple; unlike bold colors that speak so loud about themselves. Black, white and grey allows space for question and creativity-and so does the basic white shirt; its simple and versatile like a blank canvas you can fill. And since its the colder season, I’ve got my Denim and Plaid Button Downs to double for warmth and style.
And speaking of neutrals in my wardrobe, My friend once said, “A good shoe collection comes in at least five pairs in black.”
"-and adding an Electric Blue Pair of Suede Pointy Pumps makes it a whole lot heavenly." -Thats my version. It’s this bolt of coloured electricity among my pairs in black and neutrals. Love at 50% Off, after season sales are awesome.
V Neck Forever 21 | Plaid Stradivarius | Denim Button Down Forever 21 | Heels Miss Selfridge | Lipstick NARS in Amsterdam
Photos taken by Liz Dumdum, The Style Diplomat (http://lizdumdum.com)
This is how I will probably look nine more years from now, when I’m 30 years old and a still a busy “woman”. Hopefully I don’t gain that much weight and wrinkles. For now, I’m off to a meeting for another project and what I’m wearing makes me feel a little more mature like some busy workaholic business woman.
Looking forward to the weekend! Although I can’t usually tell the differenciate between weekdays and weekends, so what difference does it really make, except for incredible traffic later today(which I really loathe) since its Friday again. If it weren’t for Friday Traffic, I wouldn’t really know what day it is today.
Photos by: Liz Dumdum, The Style Diplomat
- In my case, Sundays still equal work, sometimes(And today is one of them). Sadly I cant spend the day lazy in bed all day even though my body clock is definitely yearning for it after a long week of work and after last night when my college friends, one after another, ended up im my pad for a couple of drinks from eight in the evening until four in the morning. Truthfully I enjoy unplanned random nights til dawn even though the consequences are felt by my system in the hours preceding because those are the “nights” you will actually remember; its when you’ve had your free-spiritted attitude living and feeling youth. You won’t exactly look back a few years from now remembering the times you slept soundly in bed on a weekend.
Today I just wanted to wear basics and be quite relaxed and comfortable. Speaking of Basics, “StyLized” will be available on bookstores Nationwide, it’s Liz Uy’s Style Guide Book on the Top 10 Essential Wardobe Pieces for every Filipina and how to fashionably style yourself. It also features 10 of the biggest female celebrities she also styles, complete with photos to help you visualise! It’s a must grab and it will only be at P395.
I’m excited to see the final outcome of this book that took the team more than a year to finish. Im thankful that I got to assist some pages and chapters and experience a bit of the process of creating a book, so Im psyched!
Knit Top Stradivarius | Woven Skort Stradivarius | Heels Forever 21 | Necklace Stradivarius
I’m currently adoring the cold weather that’s sweeping the metro; it’s not like our tropical country can sustain this chill for longer period of time, well atleast it is to prevail until February. Sometimes I underestimate how cold this weather can get especially at night when the wind blows more, I just wore a thin shirt and shorts yesterday thinking it was going to be a warm day and only to find out that it was 19 degree Celsius outside.
Anyway, First week of the 2014 is done and that leaves us with three-hundred and fifty three more days left for this year. Still wishing time would atleast slow down, good enough for us to feel moment, not just happening. Things are starting to pile up at work; but Im a little more excited for next week’s shoot, I’ve heard its going to be shot in this fishing community where in we have to take small boats to transfer from one location to another- that definitely sounds exciting. I’m about to head out to finish buying last minute items we need for that shoot and I hope I don’t freeze in this outfit…I’ll prolly just bring a jacket with me.
Happy Sunday everyone!
The holidays are officially over! Vacation mode is once again over and its back to the daily grind for all of us. I’m still needing a bit of time to get used to work and living independently in this urban city after being away in laid-back Bacolod; still nothing beats the comfort of being home! Don’t you agree?
I’m trying to get my life back on track, starting with a little more discipline in my daily routine to keep me organized. Hope I sustain it throughout the year. I just hate messy living.
And in the mean time, here are some Anonymously asked questions in my INBOX, I apologize it took a while for me to answer, but here they are anyway!
1. Hi Andie! I love your style! I hope you could post style tips :) And I wish you post more styles for jeans ‘cause I rarely wear shorts and skirts. Thanks! :)
- Thanks for the suggestion! I will do soon, I shall be posting outfit/style entries again!
2. Need help! Will open toe wedges work with a high waisted but modestly long bandage skirt? The event’s calling for a corporate attire. I have stilettos but I’m looking for an excuse to buy new wedges hahaha
-Hi! Personally I wouldn’t wear a high waisted bandage skirts with open toe wedges; I’d rather pair them with pointy pumps these days since I’m not really a wedge-person. But You can probably opt for strappy wedges, avoid those with a native/brown woven detail on the heel though. Stick to leather or similar material to keep it modern. Here’s a few of my suggestions, hope this helps! :
3. Hi! I came across your blog and I LOVE everything about your graduation show collection. Good job! :) My fashion thesis is also about swimsuits and Bohemian fashion. Can you give me some advice, like what fabric to use and inspirations for designs? It will surely be a big help for me. :) Thank you in advance! :)
-Thank you for the compliment! First its important to consider fabric that is sturdy and stretches and can absorb water without flopping or sagging. Jersey is commonly used for swimwear because its easily found and is available in a wide range of selection from plain to printed. Viscose is similar only that it is thicker, sturdier and much nicer.
As for inspirations, I suggest you go through Bohemian Fashion Blogs, my favourite (which definitely helped me a lot in building my graduation show collection) is Spell and the Gypsy Collective, just search them on Google. Goodluck!
Ill try to treat this New Year normally, just like any other day; maybe things will turn out differently rather than beginning it with so much expectations. So instead of making major resolutions, I’ll try to do the simple, little ones. After all they are much easier to do but accomplishing them just gives you as much satisfaction.
Happy New Year! 2013 you have been AMAZING, let 2014 be as much!
1. Watch a Concert. Truthfully I’ve never watched an international band or artist live yet because everytime a concert pops up, I just keep passing knowing there will be another concert in a month or two. For a music enthusiast, I suck. So probably Im kicking off this year with the 7107 International Music Festival on February or Phonenix this January!
2. Charity Work. Im not a bad, insensitive person, but I have been very inactive during the past few years when it comes to relief operations. I feel that I really have to make up for it.
3. Sustain a Journal. Every since I started college, I’ve been collecting Starbucks Planners and transforming them into a personal diary where I write down my thoughts, insights and learnings about particular happenings and stages in my life. It’s actually very humbling, overwhelming and fun to read back on those crazy mischiefs, and life’s events that definitely made an impact to you. However, I haven’t sustained finishing a complete one, so hopefully this year I could fill in every page.
4.Travel and appreciate Culture. I must get out of the country because its really been a while since. I’m thinking of some place rich in culture and history because I want travelling to make sense.
5. Take more photographs and go back to using DSLR. A few years back I was very efficient with using a camera and capturing even simple day to day moments and posting them here on my blog; its actually very satisfying to feel when you take a look on quality photos on memorable moments. I hope to be able to tell the year in photographs again; not just via Instagram posts- which leads to my next resolution.
6. Blog again. And write more often about things I could read again a few years from now. Its actually better to have this sort of digital journal complete with words and photographs that easily summarise your life somehow. And hopefully I could post more outfit, music and photography entries again.
7. Save More, Spend Less. You guys probably have this on your list too, but seriously I have to save bigger and save for life! I actually started well last year because of some amount I set aside from my earnings, hopefully I’ll spend less on junk and unnecessary objects.
8. Catch some Morning Sunlight. Which means wake up earlier and inhale the fresh, relaxing morning vibe. Its actually a good way to start your day rather than jumping out of bed and rushing the moment you wake up because you are late.
9. Eat with Love. I’m currently waiting for mom to buy me that blender/juicer which would make it very accessible for me to juice Fruits and veggies together. I actually love healthy eating, I truthfully find them delicious. I don’t mind eating from Juju eats the whole week actually or yummy native grilled fish for any matter.
10. Communicate better with family and friends. I practically live alone, and I barely see old friends anymore; sometimes it makes me feel lonely like an island. I must not be lazy and try to sit down with a couple of friends and catch up at least twice a month. Im also hoping I could go home more often this year, nothing beats the feeling of being at home.
11. Search for Music that matters. I used to be efficient in searching for Indie or unique songs over blogs and music websites which I found a lot of treasures. I badly and barely learned “new” music in 2013. This year I hope to do as well as I did in 2011 and 2012 and discover genres I haven’t heard off before and eventually love them.
12. Read a new and an old book. Ive only read a number of books in my life but I quite loved it. I want to read a book Ive read before, probably the Twilight Series once more and feel what it was like to be Fifteen again. And I want to read another book that I haven’t read yet. Any suggestions?
13. Beach Trip. I used to go to the beach often before, last year I havent, not even just once. I miss the warm sunlight on my skin while the salty sea water surrounds you and how it feels to have sand between your toes. I wanna hear the ocean breeze with the sound of the rush of the waves. Nothing beats it!
14. Love More, Hate Less. The less you care, the happier you will be and all the more you’ll be happier if you allow yourself to be filled up with more positivity. I must learn how to take a chill pill and not stress about the things that don’t need to be worried about.
This was the year that I faced a number of significant turning points. Constantly I find myself in this pondering position at the eve of New Year’s contemplating where has the year gone and how fast it has transpired. Doesn’t feel so long ago when I was just anticipating 2013 or even the years before. I guess these are what blogs are for, to transcend you back to years dated.
1. Graduation Fashion Show last March which consumed an entire quarter of the year for preparation! It was certainly a big memorable whirl wind for us Seniors, won’t forget the endless nights and hard labor put into making this show possible from the dresses to making the event itself which made us batchmates even closer.
2. Graduation last July; sums up my college years! Will miss the endless friends made, the stubborn moments, and the experiences that definitely make me still want to do college all over again, I was glad it happened the way it happened.
3. Turning 21 and facing all these life changing turning points. Much overwhelmed for what Life has given. I wouldn’t ask for the past few years to happen in another way.
4. Having one of the coolest & most stylish people in the country as my boss tops of my year, not to mention the awesome job that comes along with it!
5. Bye Bye to my home of four years! WIll miss this humble but cozy space of mine that has sheltered me all throughout my years in college.
6. Moving to new heights which means opening myself to life’s other possibilities and loving a new place to call home.
7. Gratitude. I said farewell to my closest grandfather, it was a difficult time but through the darkness, I was able to still see the warm light later on. Though sorrow was profound, we must also be grateful to have been blessed with someone who has so ably guided us to where we are today. I wouldn’t be here without him.
8. Looking on the brighter side; My other grandfather has been in Manila for a few months already, in a way I am glad to have time to spend with him very often; because it was one thing I wished I had more with my other grandfather.
So that’s about most it! Next Year, I’d like to read this post and hopefully create an entry that details how awesome 2014 was.
When my number of days in college were nearing to an end, all I ever cared about was to just land ANY job as long as I do not end up being an unemployed, bum graduate waiting for Life to happen. Never have I even considered being stylist, or anything near working with Celebrities or landing such a cool boss but I have concluded that Life does have its mysterious little ways of surprising you.
So here are some snippets from m first few months on the job!
Follow me on Instagram: andiejavelosa
1. BEA ALONZO on the Buzz in BCBG MAX AZRIA | 2. BEA ALONZO in Eric Delos Santos for Four Sisters and A Wedding Press Conference | 3. BEA ALONZO in Albert Andrada and Bon Bouche Jewels for ASAP | 4. VICE GANDA wearing Vina Romero | 5. ANNE CURTIS in Boom Sason for Swatch Event | 6. MARIAN RIVERA in Miss Selfridge | TONI GONZAGA on The Buzz in 1. XOXO chiffon button down and leather skirt | 2. Ivar Aseron architectural dress | 3. Warehouse Panel Dress | 4. AUM JEWELS | 5. Charina Sarte Jumpsuit | 6. Mikee Andrei Drape Dress | 1. MARIAN RIVERA in Miss Selfridge | 2. MARIAN RIVERA in Apartment 8 Viscoze Dress | 3. SARAH GERONIMO in Kaye Morales Top & River Island Belt for ASAP | 4. SARAH GERONIMO in Raoul Ramirez S/S 14 | 5. SARAH GERONIMO in Certified Calm for Minute to Win It | 6. SARAH GERONIMO in Bango Niu for STAR AWARDS | 1. SARAH GERONIMO wearing Vania Romoff for The Voice Grand Finale | 2. SARAH GERONIMO in Rajo Laurel | 3. SARAH GERONIMO wearing Rachel Roy for SMDC Event | 4. SARAH GERONIMO waring Rajo Laurel for The Voice Grand Finale | 5. ELLEN ADARNA in Mia Jeanjaquet cut out dress | 6. ELLEN ADARNA in Apartment 8 | 7. MARIAN RIVERA in Ivar Aseron Lace Jumpsuit | 8. ELLEN ADARNA for GGV Guesting
I don’t know about you but Christmas actually makes me feel lonesome. The closer that day is approaching, the more cheereless I become- its like wanting to delay time passing before Christmas. It feels strange, not being able to feel the whole Christmas Spirit when this is supposed to be “the most wonderful time of the year.”
I used to be so excited about the idea of this glittered season; as early as September I would already make a mess at home just to set up the Tree or constantly rearranging the numerous gifts under it & wondering whats in each of those colourful boxes, or count down the days & couldn’t wait until the morning of the 25th or be excited to go around the village and feel enlightened by the sight of houses decorated with bright wonderful lights or just simply be with family eating Queso De Bola and Christmas Ham. I couldn’t be any happier, and as a kid I never wanted Christmas to go away. I just knew I wanted this merry season to last all year.
Why’d I grow out of it?
Chambray Jacket, STRADIVARIUS | White Shirt, MISS SELFRIDGE | Beanie, SM Mens | Denim Shorts, STRADIVARIUS | Necklace, FOREVER 21 | Gray Casuals, COTTON ON
My face above the water
My feet can’t touch the ground,
Touch the ground, and it feels like
I can see the sands on the horizon
Everytime you are not around
I’m slowly drifting away (drifting away)
Wave after wave, wave after wave
I’m slowly drifting (drifting away)
And it feels like I’m drowning
Pulling against the stream
Pulling against the stream
I wish I could make it easy
Easy to love me, love me
But still I reach, to find a way
I’m stuck here in between
I’m looking for the right words to say
Photos by Pemrik Alina & Liz Dumdum; The Style Diplomat